Introduction to tribodiagnostics
TTribodiagnostics is a method of diagnostics for detecting, evaluating and reporting the occurrence of foreign substances in lubricants and process fluids and their change from a quantitative and qualitative point of view.
Tribodiagnostics is a tool for predictive maintenance of machines and equipment using lubricants and process fluids. It focuses on qualitative and quantitative analysis of oil, determination of its condition, lubricating properties and contamination with foreign substances. This assessment identifies the basic characteristics of the oil:
- kinematic viscosity
- water content
- purity class (content of mechanical contaminants)
- content of oxidation products
- antioxidant content
- acid number
- determination of abrasion metals
Appropriate interpretation of the results of the current state of the lubricant in terms of contamination and chemical degradation will allow early warning of the signs of a malfunction of the machine or the lubricant itself.
Based on the results of the analysis, we will recommend a suitable solution for maintaining or achieving a satisfactory condition of the lubricant and, if necessary, replacing it.
The use of tribotechnical diagnostics to assess the condition of lubricants and process fluids has a significant benefit not only from an economic point of view but also from the point of view of environmental care:
- reduces maintenance costs
- reduction of downtime due to diagnostics of the actual condition of monitored devices
- equipment life and lubricant life will be extended
- the risk of accidents is reduced
- reduces oil consumption
- reduces the costs of generating, storing and disposing of hazardous waste